iPad running XLstage app will not connect to server

Topics about Timing Systems software products, questions, features, functionality

iPad running XLstage app will not connect to server

Postby samiam » Sun May 26, 2019 5:28 pm

I run the XLstage app on my iPad connected to the XLscore software. I keep running into times when the iPad will not connect the app to the server. If I reboot the iPad, then run the app, it connects first try. What could I be doing wrong when the iPad will not connect?
samiam

Re: iPad running XLstage app will not connect to server

Postby raceamerica » Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 pm

samiam wrote:What could I be doing wrong when the iPad will not connect?

The iPad apps, XLstageHD and XLregisterHD, require the iPad is connected to wifi on the same network as the PC running the XLscore PRO software. The iPad app also requires exclusive use of the wifi link to the PC. This means if other apps are already using the wifi connection to connect to the internet, the iPad will not have exclusive use of the wifi and will not connect.

First, ensure all other apps are not running in the background on the iPad when attempting to connect to the XLscore server running on the PC. To clear out all apps running in the background, press the HOME button twice on the iPad. All apps running in the background can be cleared by sliding them up off the screen until no apps appear.

Second, ensure the wifi the iPad is connected to is the correct one. One of the wifi connection configured in the iPad may be set to take priority over the wifi connected to the PC.

Third, ensure the iPad remains within about 300feet of the wireless router. Beyond 300feet, the connection may disconnect intermittently and lock up the app. If the wifi router antenna is inside a building, the signal level will vary as the iPad move around outside the building. 100feet from the router is a safe distance when the signal must transmit through a building wall. None of these distances are guaranteed so best solution is to place the router antenna outside the building as close as possible to where the iPad will operate.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby samiam » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:50 am

I have a wireless router with a 1 watt wifi hotpot connected to it (compared to the standard 100 milliwatt in the router). I thought this would give me extra range but the connection with the iPad gets flaky beyond about 200 feet. Should I expect more range than that? Even when I move the 1 watt hotspot antenna outside the tower, the range does not significantly increase.
samiam

Postby raceamerica » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am

samiam wrote:Should I expect more range than that? Even when I move the 1 watt hotspot antenna outside the tower, the range does not significantly increase.

In your configuration, the router side with the 1W hotspot can transmit with a wider range but receive side is about the same as the router by itself. The iPad side is still limited in range to transmit and receive. End result is the iPad will probably receive data from the tower at a farther range but cannot reply at that range. If the iPad sends an inquiry to the tower, the iPad transmit distance is unchanged so there is no range increase.

Increasing range capabilities on one end of a wireless link has little effect if both ends are transmitting and receiving. There is no simply way to increase the range of an iPad or other similar handheld devices.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby samiam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 am

We ran into another problem where the iPad would not connect to the XLscore server. I did all the regular checks for correct wireless link, no apps running in the background, etc but kept getting the 'No Connect' error message on the iPad. Rebooted the iPad and the PC but no change. I rebooted the router and everything worked on first try.

I later discovered the router was actually a switching router and had been left on for two weeks since our last event. Apparently a switching router works differently than a plain router and too many other random devices had made attempts to connect when they were in range. Looks like rebooting the router cleared all of its internal tables and worked flawlessly the entire event. I now power off the router when the track is not in use. When i power on the router, I do that first then power up the PC then connect the iPad to the Wifi. No problems since.
samiam

Return to Timing Systems Products