Lights change color as driver passes by

Topics about Electronic Flagging hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Lights change color as driver passes by

Postby Richkim » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 am

We had a couple of drivers mention the yellow lights look like green when they look over at the light as they pass by it. Then they get back on the accelerator thinking the track just went green when it was still all yellow!

Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?
Richkim

Re: Lights change color as driver passes by

Postby raceamerica » Tue May 03, 2022 10:23 am

Placement of the Electronic Flagging System along the racetrack is critical to maximize the angle of view and maximize the track coverage. The two images below demonstrate the wrong mounting angle compared to the track and the correct angle to maximize the viewing. As the vehicle passes out of the viewing angle illustrated in the wrong mounting, a driver looking over at the light will see a blend of off-angle LED color effected by the surroundings. Colors get distorted at hard angles outside the optimum viewing angle of the EFS.

Proper EFS mounting angle to the racetrack surface can be accomplished by driving on the outside edge of the track, then on the inside edge of the track viewing the light as it passes by. Proper up/down angle is also important especially if the racetrack gains or looses elevation.

wrong_position-300.jpg
correct_position-300.jpg
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby Richkim » Mon May 09, 2022 10:32 am

I was skeptical about changing the mounting position but we did and that made a huge difference! I went back to two of the drivers who originally complained and they said the issue was no longer there on the two turns noted. Thanks for your input, we have happy campers now on the track.
Richkim

Postby Dakimmer » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:05 pm

I told my boss about this post and we adjusted our lights like the illustrations. We have the smaller track safety lights and a couple of the big units for displaying flags. After aiming the lights, the colors were more even across the entire track. I understand this is pretty common with most LED lights on the market with some of them having a narrow area of view. Just another vote for it worked for our track too.
Dakimmer

Return to Electronic Flagging Products