Different wireless types and frequencies

Topics about other hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Different wireless types and frequencies

Postby Richkim » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 am

I have equipment with the AW suffix (i.e. 6751AW) and all works fine. I have an opportunity to pick up more equipment as backups but I noticed the suffix is AZ. Will I have a compatibility issue or will all of this equipment work together?
Richkim

Re: Different wireless types and frequencies

Postby samiam » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am

Our track has some drag equipment with just the A suffix or no suffix at all, 4520U for example. What is the reasoning for all these suffixes and what is compatible with what?
samiam

Re: Different wireless types and frequencies

Postby raceamerica » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm

SUFFIXES
There are three types of wireless and two frequency bands RaceAmerica sells, or has sold. Suffixes to hardware product numbers identify the type of wireless and consist of: no suffix, W, X, and Z. 900MHz hardware will generally end in either no suffix (i.e. 4520U, 2700A, etc.) or the W suffix (i.e. 6830EW, 3220DW, etc.) with a few exceptions due to expansion of model numbers. 2.4GHz hardware will generally end in either the X suffix (i.e. 2700AX, 6830EX, etc.) or the Z suffix (i.e. 2700BZ, 6820EZ, etc.) with a few exceptions due to expansion of model numbers. One of the exceptions is the no suffix 4620U, a 2.4GHz unit equivalent to the X suffix, while current units are numbered 4620UZ.

FREQUENCY BAND
900MHz wireless today is frequency-wise fully compatible with all previous 900MHz models. 2.4GHz models have changed and today's models (Z suffix) is not frequency compatible with older models (X suffix). X suffix hardware was discontinued a year or two back and no longer available, replaced by the Z suffix. Z suffix performance is much more robust with a wider selection of frequency channels on a different frequency band. When a X suffix hardware fails and needs replacing, the Z suffix is used. This change will also require all other X suffix units to be updated to a Z suffix by replacing the wireless module programmed for compatibility with all other Z suffix upgraded hardware.

OPTIMIZER CODES
Compatibility between wireless hardware is accomplished with two factors to consider. Frequency/suffix must be the same - and - the Optimizer Codes must also be the same. The Optimizer Code represents the pre-selected channel the wireless module will communicate on within the frequency band. The Optimizer Code is programmed into each wireless module regardless of suffix. The Optimizer Code is labelled on all wireless hardware and will look like E44, C30, G001, E675, as examples. Different Optimizer Code can enable two wireless timing systems to operate in close range on two separate tracks without interfering with each other.

PHYSICAL SIZE
When updating, one other factor to consider also is the current 900MHz and the 2.4GHz Z suffix are smaller in physical size. Older 900MHz and 2.4GHz X suffix are physically larger units. Older hardware can accommodate both the small and larger models through the use of an adapter board. Current hardware is designed for the smaller size since the larger size wireless is no longer available.

Full Compatibility General Rule = same SUFFIX + same FREQUENCY BAND + same OPTIMIZER CODE + same PHYSICAL SIZE

Hope that was not too complicated ...
raceamerica
Site Admin

Return to Other Hardware Products