What antenna connects where on 2710 system

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

What antenna connects where on 2710 system

Postby Baker38 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm

I am helping a friend setup their new purchase of a 2710 XL Wireless system. They also purchased flat panel antennas since they will be running at 1/4 mile and it is a bit confusing which antenna connect to which wireless unit. They also have a wireless printer and a set of flat panels for that setup also.
Baker38

Re: What antenna connects where on 2710 system

Postby raceamerica » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:40 pm

This can be a bit confusing when you have several antennas outside the tower and several wireless connections on the inside of the tower.

First things first, the 2700/2710 timer operates as the center of the universe. That is, the timer talks to all T-Links on the track as well as the tree, scoreboards, and the PC. If the wireless printer is connected to the timer, then the timer also sends timeslips to the printer. If the printer is connected to the PC (or the wireless unit for the printer), then the PC sends timeslips to the printer and not the timer.

Since the timer communicates with all downtrack hardware, one of the high gain antennas connects to the timer and not the small black rubber duckie antenna. The printer is probably located downtrack so the wireless unit (PC NETWORK) in the tower for the printer also gets a connection to a high gain antenna. The PC communicates to the timer so it does not require a high gain antenna. The wireless unit (TIMER NETWORK) connected to the PC should have one of the small black rubber duckie antennas.

Downtrack, the T-Links would have a high gain antenna connected to each T-Link and pointed at the tower. Each scoreboard would have a high gain antenna pointed back at the tower.

With this arrangement, everything communicating downtrack or uptrack has a high gain antenna while short distance communcation (like the PC to the timer) use a rubber duckie antenna.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby MannerTee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Our 2700 setup has the timer halfway down the track between the start line and the finish line. If i connect a flat panel to the tower, how can I get signal from both start and finish?

Do I use two flat panels connected to the timer pointing opposite ways?

What do you suggest is best solution for our setup?
MannerTee

Postby lazdee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

For track layouts where th timer is between the start and finish lines, best to use a High Gain Omni antenna. If you attempt to connect two flat panel antennas to the same coax cable, odd things can happen if both ends are not well balanced.

The High Gain Omni antenna is a large (5ft-6ft) whip antenna made to mount on a building or a rigid pole. The omni will provide strong signal in all directions and will communicate with flat panels at the start and finish lines. Scoreboards will also benefit from the Omni antenna enabling the scoreboards to be located anywhere on the track.

If there will be a PC running software to manage the race, where will it be located?
lazdee

Postby MannerTee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 am

Laptop will be present running XLscore PRO program. The laptop will be same location as the timer so I will use a rubber duckie on the USB 4520 wireless unit connected to the laptop.
MannerTee

Return to Timing Systems Products