Display show decimal point but no times

Topics about Scoreboards and Displays hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Display show decimal point but no times

Postby GaryTweet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 am

Last week one of our 8" displays would only show the decimal point when time was sent. About halfway through the day the display refused to show any digits, just the decimal points. Unplugged the power and plugged it back in but the startup walk through of segments did not display, just decimal points flashed then blank. Worked fine the first half of the day. If I open it up can you give me some ideas to try? Next event is in two weeks.
GaryTweet

Re: Display show decimal point but no times

Postby raceamerica » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 am

On power up, the display start sequence will display cycling through each of the digits segments then the decimal point. If no segments light up but the decimal point lights, it is probably the power source connected to the display. If voltage gets low, say 11VDC or so, the segments will be so dim they cannot be seen in daylight. The decimal points however will stay their normal brightness since there are fewer LEDs to light. This is more common when powering the display with a small capacity 12 volt battery than with an AC adapter. If you are using a small capacity battery and run the display for hours, the battery may be too small and only lasts part of your event day.

Check the voltage of the battery with a voltmeter or substitute a different battery if one is available and a voltmeter is not.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby GaryTweet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:12 am

Okay, I have the display in my garage so I hooked it up to my car using the cigarette lighter. The start sequence displays immediately just like it did the other day. I will keep it connected and see what happens in a few hours. I will also be able to get access to the battery we were using and will check it for voltage.
GaryTweet

Postby GaryTweet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Latest update, the battery we were using was at 11.2 volts without anything connected to it. I am guessing it would be lower voltage if connected to the display. And the display continues to work ... and bright too! Probably should have noticed the display was getting dim at the event.
GaryTweet

Return to Scoreboards and Displays