Battery charging light inside wireless hand controller

Topics about Electronic Flagging hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Battery charging light inside wireless hand controller

Postby Baker38 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:46 pm

I own one of the wireless hand controllers and recently opened it up to see how it was made. I noticed the battery has an indicator on it and flashes when I am charging it and changes color as it gets more charge.

Why does the wireless hand controller not have a window to view this battery indicator? The light charges colors as the battery is used and seems like it would be useful to tell how much charge is left.
Baker38

Re: Battery charging light inside wireless hand controller

Postby raceamerica » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes, there is an indicator on the internal battery powering the wireless hand controller. Though much testing, we have found this indicator can be misleading. When plugged into a charger, the indicator flashes red. If the battery is very low, the battery is charging but at a very very low charge rate. The protection circuitry may be monitoring the very low battery level and will trickle charge at best. The flashing red does not necessarily mean the battery is being charged.

The indicator changes color as the battery charge level increases but is inconsistent from battery to battery. The color change sometimes occurs as low as 50% and sometimes as high as 80%, So the indicator does not aid in determining the charge level of the battery.

One of the functions of the wireless hand controller is the Hold-Black-Button-Press-White-Release. This will take a reading of the actual battery charge level and output the level to a Track Safety Light or Safety Cube. The TSL displays a very accurate charge level reading when compared to the indicator on the battery. As the battery level changes, the TSL will display and change from red to yellow to green to indicate the battery charge capacity.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby Baker38 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:28 pm

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the case/grip so I can view the battery level. I could seal it up with clear tape so dirt does not get in.
Baker38

Postby raceamerica » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:35 pm

The wireless hand controller enclosure is IP65 rated, sealed unit. Drilling a hole in the side cannot maintain the IP65 rating and simple clear tape will allow moisture through over time. The moisture will get trapped inside and not be good for the switches or the circuitry. I would advise against drilling holes through the enclosure.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby Baker38 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:37 pm

I did not realize the enclosure was IP65 rated! I will definitely not drill a hole.
Baker38

Return to Electronic Flagging Products