Need help aligning my start beams

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Need help aligning my start beams

Postby MarkCassel » Mon May 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Our 2600 has a set of dual beam with stage and prestage. Every time I set them up, I fiddle with the alignment between the emitter side and sensor side until both stage and prestage light on the tree go out. When I am done, the beams are no longer on the starting line painted on the track. I start out with the stage beam on the start line but end up with one on the line and the other side not.

Am I doing something wrong or do my start beams need repair?

If you can give me a quick course on aligning these beams, I can be sure I am not doing something wrong.
MarkCassel

Re: Need help aligning my start beams

Postby BillGorman » Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 pm

I have the same problem some of the time with the start beams on our wireless system. I can either set them down and align in a few minutes and all is right or, I spent more time than I think is necessary to get them to end up aligned where I want them. Got to be a trick to alignment since sometimes it just works!
BillGorman

Postby raceamerica » Tue May 12, 2020 12:34 pm

There are a few facts to know on the operation of the start beams.

First, the detection beam between the emitter and sensor is always a straight line. This is true even if the enclosure is 10 degrees off angle to the track. As long as the sensor can see the emitter, the beam is a straight line in the center of the holes of the enclosures. When aligned, the start beam enclosures may not necessarily be parallel with the track edge to be properly aligned, especially with multi-beam units like start beams.

Second, once the beam is locked in, the detection width is very small, under a 1/4 of an inch wide which means a pencil could almost be used to block the beam between the emitter and sensor after they are aligned.

Third, aligning the enclosure is not aligning the beams. Too many times track managers use laser beams mounted on the enclosure to align the start beams. They are assuming the laser beam is exactly parallel with the actual infrared beams. This is usually not the case, especially in multi-beam units like start beams. The alignment process is aligning two beams designed to be slightly off angle to each other.

Also, when building a housing to hold the start beams, there must be provisions to adjust the orientation of the start beam enclosure inside that housing. Once the alignment of the beams is complete, the start beam enclosure can be secured inside the housing.

The sensor has a viewing range of 8 degrees and the emitter sends the beam out as wide as 30 degrees. This is why the enclosure can be rotated to the left and right and the beam stays aligned. It is still a point to point beam from emitter to sensor or in a dual beam start beam, two point to point beams in parallel.

To properly align the beams, place the stage beam on the starting line. Go into align mode on the timer.

Aligning the beams involves rotating the enclosures (as viewed from overhead) around an axis located at the center of the enclosure always maintaining the stage beam on the start line. Do not slide the enclosure up and down the track edge, this will move it off the start line and alignment will be more difficult.

Since the sensor (cabled unit) has a smaller angle of viewing (thus smaller adjustment angle), rotate the sensor first to find the alignment limits. Rotate left to find the angle where the alignment falls off, then rotate right to find the angle where alignment falls off. Center the enclosure between these two extremes. If you cannot find a point where both stage and prestage are alignment at the same time, position the sensor enclosure to the optimum angle. Next adjust the emitter enclosure (battery powered unit) in the same manner, rotate left, then rotate right and center in these angle extremes. To fine tune, go back to the sensor and repeat the same alignment process and rotate very slowly in both directions. You will find the angle of alignment is now much greater.

You will find the emitter side will bring in the alignment once the sensor side has been positioned in its best rotated position. Generally, the enclosure will be anything from parallel to the track edge, to rotated a few degrees. This is due to the tolerances of the circuitry mounted in a formed internal enclosure times two beams. If you find the final 'best' position of the enclosures is 15-20 degrees off, there might be a problem with the emitting or sensing component inside and the start benas should be sent in for inspection (ship both emitter and sensor pair).

You can now understand why a rigid mounted start beam inside a protective housing will make alignment more difficult unless the housing can be rotated for adjustment. The up and down angle of the front of the enclosure (side where the holes are) is not a critical adjustment. If you find this needs adjusting, either the enclosures are not level or the beam need to be send in for inspection.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby MarkCassel » Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Our start beams are held down by brackets on either end and adjustment up and down vertically is possible. Very limited movement to rotate the enclosure. When they were installed, they did use a laser pen light. I will loosen the brackets and try the alignment procedure.

If I understand what you mean by rotate the enclosure, if I place a finger on the center of the top of the enclosure as I look down at the enclosure, I would spin the enclosure on the ground around the point where my finger is in contact. Right?
MarkCassel

Postby raceamerica » Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 pm

MarkCassel wrote:If I understand what you mean by rotate the enclosure, if I place a finger on the center of the top of the enclosure as I look down at the enclosure, I would spin the enclosure on the ground around the point where my finger is in contact. Right?

That is a correct description of rotating the enclosure.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby kittysoman2013 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm

MarkCassel wrote:Our start beams are held down by brackets on either end and adjustment up and down vertically is possible. Very limited movement to rotate the enclosure. When they were installed, they did use a laser pen light. I will loosen the brackets and try the alignment procedure.

If I understand what you mean by rotate the enclosure, if I place a finger on the center of the top of the enclosure as I look down at the enclosure, I would spin the enclosure on the ground around the point where my finger is in contact. Right?

Yes, I think the same as him
kittysoman2013

Postby BillGorman » Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am

Our system has 3 beams at the starting line. What is the secret for aligning all 3 beams? The metal boxes are much larger then the 2 beams units most tracks use.
BillGorman

Postby raceamerica » Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 am

BillGorman wrote:What is the secret for aligning all 3 beams?

The start lights with 3 beams are called Tri-Beams containing Prestage, Stage, and Guard beams. The Guard Beam and the Stage Beam are logically interconnected so aligning the beams takes a few extra steps.

To get started, position the guard beam on the start line. Block the stage beam and align the guard beam using the stage lights on the tree. With the stage beam blocked, the stage lights on the tree will be illuminated when the guard beam is aligned and will go off when the guard beam is not aligned. This is the opposite operation compared to the stage or prestage beams. Rotate the start beam enclosures to find the extremes of the guard beam alignment and position in the middle of the alignment angles. Once that is completed, unblock the stage beam and align the stage and prestage the same as if it was a dual beam.

When both beams are aligned, block the stage beam again and confirm the guard beam is also aligned by blocking it. The stage light will go out when the guard beam is blocked and turn back on when unblocked.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Return to Timing Systems Products