Stage Light Remained On After Motorcycle Crossed Start Beam

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Stage Light Remained On After Motorcycle Crossed Start Beam

Postby BusaGuy » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 am

At our last event a motorcycle did 8.2 seconds at 136mph with a 60ft of 0.777.

Our system is a 2700 series XL Wireless.

I received a copy of the time slip for the 8.2 second pass which showed the following discrepancies:

1. 60ft time of 0.777
2. An elapsed quarter mile time of 8.2
3 A trap speed of 136 mph

Was there a timing system malfunction?

Are the details shown on the time slip possible?

I have video footage of the run which shows the following:

1. I observed that after competitior #600 (right lane) moved off the start line, the pre stage and stage lights on his lane remained on and only turned off approximately one second after he moved.

2. I also observed that the stage light went off immediately after competitor #21 (left lane) moved off the start line.

I can't upload the video here because of the size. Please provide an email if possible.

Please see attached pictures of the time slips for that race.
Attachments
IMG-20231114-WA0116.jpg
Time slips for both riders
BusaGuy

Re: Stage Light Remained On After Motorcycle Crossed Start B

Postby raceamerica » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:35 pm

Glad you included the timeslip.

Note the RT seems high and the 60ft and ET seem low. If adjust the RT by subtracting 0.900sec (RT=>0.030sec) and adjust the 60ft and ET by adding 0..900sec (60ft=>1.677sec) (ET=>9.175sec), everything looks pretty close.

It appears something delayed the start beam from re-establishing behind the front tire after the motorcycle moved. The beam re-establishing is what stops the RT clock and starts the 60ft and ET clocks. Any added delay in the RT adds to the 60-ft and ET. If this happens often in the same lane, it might be time to get the start beams tuned up. Remember the RT clock is started by the green light on the tree.

If it happens rarely, something may have been on the track blocking the start beam or the front tire had something to block the beam longer.

Also note the speed looks more normal. Speed is not effected by start issues since speed is measured by the speed and ET beams.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Re: Stage Light Remained On After Motorcycle Crossed Start B

Postby BusaGuy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:41 am

Great info. Thank you for sharing.
BusaGuy

Return to Timing Systems Products