New USB battery products

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

New USB battery products

Postby ncrawlins » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello,
I see that you have changed some of your products over to USB batteries from AA and C batteries.
Can you elaborate on how long I can expect the emitters and start beams to last on the USB batteries and how often I need to charge them?
Is there anything different I need to do with these new units versus the older units with the alkaline batteries?

Thank You
ncrawlins

Re: New USB battery products

Postby raceamerica » Mon May 21, 2018 5:45 pm

The new USB Rechargeable Battery powered emitters are direct replacements for the AA-size and C-size battery powered emitters. The USB battery slides into a battery slot and is held in with a snug connection. This is an improvement over the previous models holding a single battery firmly in place. No chance of inserting a battery backwards by mistake which could happen when inserting four batteries in an older unit. With each emitter, the USB Battery is included with the emitter and priced the same as the previous models.

beaad.gif

A full charge varies based on number of beams and IR power level of the unit. Here are results from battery charge testing in the lab. Battery charge times are measured as continuous ON time with a full charge:

5040C single beam -- 55 to 60 hours
5050C high power single beam -- 55 to 60 hours
5042C double sided beams -- 55 to 60 hours
5052C high power double sided beams -- 50 to 55 hours
5063LU/RU start line Stage/Prestage dual beams -- 50 to 55 hours
5054LU/RU start line Guard/Stage dual beams -- 50 to 55 hours
5067LU/RU start line Guard/Stage/Prestage tri-beams -- 35 to 40 hours

From full discharge, the USB battery can reach a full charge in under 8 hours using a standard USB charger. Charge cable is included. Just like the AA and C battery models, it is a good idea to have a spare battery charging while the main battery is being used.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby samiam » Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Where can I purchase a spare battery?
samiam

Postby raceamerica » Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 pm

samiam wrote:Where can I purchase a spare battery?

RaceAmerica Online Store under Accessories or Power Sources for Timers or T-Links. Part number is 55-E670.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby samiam » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Now my next challenge is to find a charger that can charge 5 or 6 batteries at a time. I have a couple of 2-port and 3-port chargers but they do not seem to charge as fast when there are 2 or 3 batteries attached. I have organized all the charge cables neatly but I need a 5 or 6-port charger with capability to actually charge 5 or 6 batteries at the same time. Some of the chargers are priced just for the charger alone and no cables and some have a rack for cellphones and tablets to rest while charging.
samiam

Postby lazdee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

If the charger you use can handle multiple batteries, generally these chargers distribute amount of charge based on demand which is based on number of batteries being charged at the same time. The nice feature is these USB Batteries can be left charging overnight since their internal circuitry limits additional charging after reaching full charge. The internal circuit is regulating the charge and monitoring the charge process to protect the Lithium-ion batteries. RaceAmerica will be introducing a Charge Station capable of charging up to eight USB Batteries at a time.
lazdee

Postby ncrawlins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

lazdee wrote:RaceAmerica will be introducing a Charge Station capable of charging up to eight USB Batteries at a time.

Wow, that is exactly what I need. When will these be available?
ncrawlins

Postby raceamerica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

ncrawlins wrote:Wow, that is exactly what I need. When will these be available?

We are hoping to have the Charge Station ready to ship in the next 30 days. Here's a sneak preview I stole from Marketing.

charger-300.jpg
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby lazdee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm

The USB Battery Charger is available from the RaceAmerica Online Store part number 5500A located under ACCESSORIES. It is available with or without a set of eight USB batteries at a package price. The charger is currently shipping so availability should be good.
lazdee

Return to Timing Systems Products