How to test signal levels with 2710 timing system

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

How to test signal levels with 2710 timing system

Postby KenHale34 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 am

I own one of the 2710 wireless timing systems and run the XLSCORE 2 software. I just added a couple of flat panel antenna for extra signal to the end of the track.

How can I be sure the antennas are installed correctly and all cable connections are good?
KenHale34

Re: How to test signal levels with 2710 timing system

Postby raceamerica » Fri May 24, 2019 5:02 pm

KenHale34 wrote:How can I be sure the antennas are installed correctly and all cable connections are good?

Both the 2700 XL Wireless and the 2710 XL Wireless timing systems have built-in diagnostics to help identify the cause of issues quickly. To enter RF Integrity mode, press * then 5. Then press 5 again and again to walk through all the diagnostic choices until the top display shows 'rF tCd', then press #. RF Integrity mode monitors live two-way communications between the timer, tree, and all T-Links on the track.

The top row contains 'rF tCd' where the t is the tee, the C is the left lane T-Link at the end of the track, and the d is the right lane T-Link at the end of the track. The bottom row contains 'gHEFJL' where each letter represents the ID of a T-Link on the track. For 1/4 mile long tracks, the g and H represent the left and right lane T-Links at the 330ft line, the E and F represent the left and right lane T-Links at the 660ft line, and the J and L represent the left and right T-Links at the 1,000ft line.

When the # is pressed, all the letters (T-Link IDs) change to a number 0 through 9, or a dash. This represents the level of communications between the timer, tree and each T-Link. The timer is continuously polling all the RF devices on the track and displaying the status of the last 10 polls. 0 through 9 represent 0% to 90%, and the dash represents 100%. At first the numbers may count up then stabilize and change slowly up and down in value. A good RF Integrity is an 8 or 9 and a perfect RF Integrity is a dash (100%).

A loose antenna connection will display a 3 or a 4 or even a zero (no RF communications for that T-Link). The lower numbers will identify where the RF link is weak and which T-Link or tree needs attention. These RF links are very important to the operation of the wireless system and adding high gain antennas to the timer and the T-Link at the end of the track make a big difference measured by this diagnostic.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby KenHale34 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 pm

I was running the RF Integrity and found the PC will not communicate to the system to start a race. Can I monitor the RF while the system is running to better see if the RF level changes during a run?
KenHale34

Postby raceamerica » Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 am

KenHale34 wrote:Can I monitor the RF while the system is running to better see if the RF level changes during a run?

No, if the timer is running the RF Integrity monitor, it will not communicate with the PC since it is busy testing the tree and T-link communications levels. Attempting to start the tree on the PC will cause the PC to report a connection error with the timer. Press # on the timer to exit RF Integrity mode prior to attempting to operate the timing system or start the tree.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Return to Timing Systems Products