Tree start delayed when using the starter's pushbutton

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Tree start delayed when using the starter's pushbutton

Postby Baker38 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:16 pm

I have one of your wireless timing systems with an LED tree with lights facing only the drivers. I think I have a problem with the pushbutton to start the tree but I am not sure. When I push the starter's pushbutton, sometimes the tree delays a few seconds before it starts. What can I do to remove this delay? Drivers get mad when nothing happens and they are up on the RPMs.
Baker38

Re: Tree start delayed when using the starter's pushbutton

Postby raceamerica » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Baker38 wrote:What can I do to remove this delay?

The delay in the tree starting in a wireless system is generally due to low RF levels between the tree and the tower. Usually this is a very short distance so very little can effect the tree start.

There is a lot happening behind the scene with a pushbutton tree start in a wireless timing system. When the starter presses the starters pushbutton, the tree sends a wireless 'tree start request' to the timer in the tower and the timer replies back with acknowledgement the request was received. The timer sends a wireless 'tree start request' to the PC and the PC replies back with an acknowledgement the request was received. The PC checks if ready to start a race and sends a 'tree start command' wirelessly to the timer and changes screens clearing out the last race results and monitors for the timer. The timer sends a wireless 'tree start command' to the tree and displays 'START TREE' on its display. The tree receives the 'tree start command', sends an acknowledgement to the timer, and begins the tree start sequence. The timer now begins to poll the tree and T-Links on track for race results. All of this happens well within a second after the pushbutton was pressed. Part of the tree start sequence is the addition of a small random amount of delay time by the tree to vary the time from push-to-tree-start so the drivers cannot watch the starter for a button press. All of this happens behind the scene with double and triple communications checks.

So where can the delay be? As an example, let's say the tree antenna has been damaged and a weak RF signal is the result between the tree and the timer. The button is pressed, the tree sends the 'tree start request' to the timer but never hears an acknowledgement back. The tree resends the 'tree start request' to the timer again and waits for a reply. The tree will do this 10 times very quickly, send, listen, resend. Let's say on the third or fourth attempt, the timer receives the request. The same communication issue and delay will happen when the timer send the 'tree start command; to the tree. All of this adds up to a few seconds of delay. How to resolve it? Check the RF Integrity on the timer and the tree RF Integrity level will be most likely be low. Replace the antenna on the tree and problem solved.

Some customers place the timer inside a tower with no external antenna connected to the timer. Weaker signal to/from the tree results and weaker signal to/from the T-Links on track results. The tree is delayed with the start and race results get delayed all due to antenna placement. Relocating the timer antenna outside of the tower by adding an external antenna mounting kit for the existing antenna or a high gain flat panel antenna and all is quickly resolved.

The wireless timing system has many behind the scenes checks and balances and internal diagnostics available to help the operator diagnose any problems. The RF Integrity check is one of these diagnostic tools included in all wireless timing systems made by RaceAmerica,
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby Baker38 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am

When the delay occurs, can I bypass the pushbutton to reduce the delay by starting the tree from the PC or timer?
Baker38

Postby raceamerica » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 am

The delay is not caused by the pushbutton itself so eliminating the pushbutton will have little effect. Ensure good antennas and good antenna positioning will resolve the delay. Also, ensure no two antennas are closer together than 6 feet. When two antennas are physically too close together, the strong RF signal from one unit will cause the other unit to tune the receiver sensitivity down and not receive signal from larger distances, like the tree or T-Links on the track. Antenna placement is important and simple to setup.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby Baker38 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 am

Problem solved! Over the weekend, set the system up for one of our four races. The delay was present during testing. Initial setup in the tower had the two wireless boxes connected to the PC within inches of the timer antenna. I spread those antennas out with about 5 feet between them and the delay went away. The rest of the day went smooth with the tree starting without a delay. Side note: the club ordered two antenna extension kits to place the timer antenna outside of the tower and the printer antenna outside the tower too.
Baker38

Return to Timing Systems Products