Battery will not charge in the 5500 desktop charger

Topics about Timing Systems hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Battery will not charge in the 5500 desktop charger

Postby BillGorman » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:00 am

I have a battery that will not charge when I insert it into any of the slots in my desktop charger. The LED comes on solid indicating the battery is fully charged but the battery is still really dead.

What can I do to recover this battery or is it time to toss it and get a new one?
BillGorman

Re: Battery will not charge in the 5500 desktop charger

Postby raceamerica » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:48 am

The battery contains charging and discharging safety circuitry to prevent the battery from being damaged by too much power in or out. When the battery reaches a very low point of charge, below the external flashing red LED, the internal battery circuitry protects the battery by reducing and limiting the charge rate to a trickle. When a bettery reaches this point of low charge, it can be damaged by too much charging power. The 5500 Desktop Charger senses the battery is in this condition and applies a very small charge level, so low, the LED will not flash to indicate charging. The battery must reach a minimum level of charge before the internal circuitry will allow the charger to increase charge. This can take days at the trickle charge level.

Best way to recover a battery in this state of charge is to connect it to a single battery USB charger. Plug in the battery for 5 monutes, then unplug it and immediately plug it back into the USB charger. Repeat this proces 3 or 4 times . Each repeated cycle, the internal charge circuitry in the battery will allow the charge level to increase just a little until the battery has a minimum level of charge to receive a larger charge rate. Once the battery is manually charged above the minimum level, the normal charging will be enabled on the Desktop Charger.

If this method does not resolve the charging issue, it might be time to replace the battery.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Return to Timing Systems Products