Small black stick antenna specifications

Topics about other hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Small black stick antenna specifications

Postby CCuer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am

Replacing a few of the antennas shipped with the products and need a spec. I find these antennas are called Rubber Duckie antennas and all look the same. Outside of frequency range, does it matter which one I use?
CCuer

Re: Small black stick antenna specifications

Postby lazdee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm

The Rubber Duckie antennas are omni-directional with 360 degree transmission pattern around the antenna. These antennas are available by frequency range and signal gain measured in dB. RaceAmerica uses 900MHz and 2.4GHz frequency antennas.

Any antenna will work as long as the frequency matches the transmitter. The better ones have a higher signal gain and provide excellent performance at greater distances than standard antennas. Usually the standard Rubber Duckie antennas are 2.1dB gain while the higher performance antennas RaceAmerica sells are 3.9dB to 5.2dB gain. The higher performance antennas are slightly taller but, other than that, look identical.

To maintain the range and performance you have with the antennas supplied with the equipment, purchase the higher gain models as replacements. RaceAmerica part numbers are 45-0675 for 900MHz and 45-0525 for 2.4GHz available from our online store.
lazdee

Postby CCuer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 pm

One of our club membrs purchased four of the rubber duckie antennas measuring 12,5 inches tall. We tried them and expected the performance to be really good but at 1000 feet the RF signal drops to 50% measured using the RF Integrity test. Did we buy the wrong antennas?
CCuer

Postby raceamerica » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 am

Might want to check the antenna specifications. Frequency should be 902-928MHz capability for your application. The only very tall rubber duckies I have encountered are in th 2.4GHz range. If so, this would account for the short range drop off of signal.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby CCuer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Our club director purchased the recommended antenna from Race America part number 45-0675 and replaced the taller ones. Huge difference in range with the Race America antennas. I guess there is no truth to bigger is better in the antennas world!
CCuer

Return to Other Hardware Products